Driven by the electric vocals and provocative songwriting of 2016 Kerrville New Folk Songwriting Competition Award-Winner, Rachel Laven, Sweet Shine and Honey is a Newgrass super group comprised of multi-talented artists Steven Sellers (Banjo, Guitar, Mandolin), Sam Snavely (Bass), and Addison Freeman (Fiddle) who all hail from different corners of the Lone Star State. Sweet Shine's limited engagements and modern take on traditional Bluegrass and American forms offer audiences a range of sensitive story-telling and foot-stompin' fun.
Houston Music Review says...
SWEET SHINE & HONEY (RACHEL LAVEN)
Rachel Laven has been on our radar for years. It was so nice to see her “dirty up” her act and let loose with a unique mix of raspy country rock growl wrapped around a modern take on traditional bluegrass. Nothing better than a hot chick and great players backing her charismatic non-strumming guitar style either! “Wildfires” was a bonafide keeper at their impressive major showcase. This is a “Newgrass” super group of Steven Sellers (banjo, guitar mandolin), Sam Snavely (bass) and Addison Freeman handling fiddle. Laven won 2016’s Kerrville New Folk Songwriting Competition which is no small feat indeed. Let’s hope this Lone Star State foursome keeps the momentum going and scores big with their foot- stompin’ fun.
Fun Facts w/ S'S&H
- Three Talents other than music? I have my B.A. degree in theatre for acting, I have a massive costume collection that I put to use through my company Tuppence Entertainment that provides costumed characaters and bartenders, and I teach kids.
- Favorite Place in the world? Either Dominica because of the incredible culture, food, and landscape, or my parents front porch where over the years an incredible amount of magic has occurred.
- Your mantra or greatest lesson in life? My two are: "Nothing in nature blooms all year, be patient with yourself," and "Not my circus, not my monkeys."
- Your biggest irrational fear? Dinosaurs, Monsters under the bed, werewolves, all things that go bump in the night, the dark.
- 5 Artists you've been listening to lately?
- Jonathan Byrd
- Lori McKenna
- Band of Heathens
- Hadestown - Anais Mitchell
- Ani DiFranco
- Talents other than music? Wit, wordplay, and general waggishness. Breadmaking. Dog parenting.
- Favorite Place in the world? At home in my red armchair with a book or on the road with my Sweet Shiney friends.
- Your mantra? "Listen Louder!"
- Your biggest irrational fear? Numbers that cannot be written as a fraction.
5 Artists you've been listening to lately?
- Mandolin Orange
- Jessica Hoop
- Lindsey Lou & The Flatbellys
- Talents other than music? I make origami out of dollar bills, I am a pretty solid Vegan chef, and I am a ham radio operator (KG5JFQ)
- Favorite Place in the world? Costa Rica because of the tropical climate and the culture.
- Your mantra or greatest lesson in life? "Just keep swimming."
- Your biggest irrational fear? Bed bugs and lice. I've never had them, but just the thought terrifies me.
- 5 artists you have been listening to lately?
- Mark Guiliana/Beat Music
- Esperanza Spalding
- Bruno Mars
- Julian Lage
- Janelle Monae
- Talents other than music? Making folks smile
- Favorite Place in the world? Mico, TX and Estes Park, Colorado
- Your Mantra? "Just do it!"
- Your biggest irrational fear?
- 5 Artists you have been listening to lately?
- Freddy King
- Tedeski Trucks Band
- Bruce Cockburn
- Collin Linden
- "collective creator of music that is wind, birds, and you!"